10 English Idioms for Problems & Difficulties

#1 – at your wits’ end

= when you are at the limit of your mental resources, desperate and without additional options
“I’ve been trying to downloadhttp://cdncache1-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png the file all day and I keep getting an error message – I’m at my wits’ end!”

#2 – catch-22

= a situation in which it’s impossible to succeed because of conflicting rules or conditions
“Getting your first job is a catch-22 because companies want to hire someone with experience, but how can I get experience unless someone gives me a job?”

#3 – dodged a bullet

= barely escaped from a dangerous/disastrous situation
“One of my ex-boyfriends later became a drug dealer! I’m glad I broke up with him – I definitely dodged a bullet.”

#4 – the crux of the matter

= the most essential or main part of the problem
“Of course there are a number of things that the country needs to improve, but the crux of the matter is that the politicians are corrupt.”

#5 – grasping at straws

= when you’re desperate and you’re pursuing even the slightest hope or possibility (even if it probably won’t workhttp://cdncache1-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png)
“The police are grasping at straws because there’s virtually no evidence at the crime scene.”

#6 – in dire straits

= in a very serious, very bad situation
“Harry has been unemployed for the past three years – he’s really in dire straits.”

#7 – you’ve got your work cut out for you

= when you have a large and difficult task to do in the future
“You want to finish a four-year college degree in just two years? Well, you’ve got your workhttp://cdncache1-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png cut out for you.”

#8 – last resort

= an option you use as a “last chance” when there are no other options available
“If we can’t stay with any of our friends in London, then we can always book a hotelhttp://cdncache1-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png as a last resort.”

#9 – the tip of the iceberg

= only a small part of the problem; the biggest part of the problem is hidden
“My parents’ arguing about where to go on vacation was only the tip of the iceberg; they treated each other horribly throughout their marriage.”

#10 – a vicious cycle

= when one problem causes another problem, which then causes the first problem again

“When I gain weight, I have less energy to exercise… and when I do less exercise, I gain even more weight. It’s a vicious cycle.”